Fire temple of Isfahan
About 1.5 km west of the Shaking Minarets is a conical hill 100 m high (1700 m above sea level) with a fire temple at the top. Some early-Islamic travelers attributed the construction of the temple to the half-mythical Tahmuras, because at the time of their visits the building was already very old. Other structures, including living quarters for the priests and pilgrims, must have surrounded the temple, but all of them were ruined soon after the fall of the Sasanid dynasty. The site was also protected by two thick, high-rising walls, placed well apart from each other; remnants of these walls are still traceable. The fire temple is constructed of mud-bricks, the layers of which are bonded with mortar and reeds. The bricks are very large compared to those used in other Sasanid buildings. Some of them are more than 40 cm long and 10 cm thick. This fact has caused archaeologists to estimate that the temple may date from a much earlier, perhaps Elamite, period. Besides the huge concrete cistern and the fire temple itself, the, other visible remains on the hill include 13th-14th century Il-Khanid fortifications.
Some medieval sources called the fireplace the Marnan castle; marnan being a distorted form of mehrbin ("vision of the sun") A superb view of the Zayandeh-Rud and the plains of Esfahan is the chief reward for those who undertake the short (10 minutes) but steep climb to the summit (take care as there is no defined path). A very pleasant country road follows the river back to the town center and leads to the Bird Garden.