MINARETS OF ESFAHAN
The historic mausoleum called Menar-e junban (The Shaking Minaret) from the Mongol period and 6 km to the west of Esfahan, consists of the tombstone of Amu Abdollah Karladani (bearing the date 1316 AD) and two shaking minarets each soaring high on either side of the mausoleum ivan, as the main attraction of the place. If you climb up the very narrow stairway to the top of one of these minarets and lean hard against the wall it will start to sway back and forth, and so will its twin, and the whole ivan, decorated with polygonal azure tiles. Although by no means unique in this respect, the Shaking Minarets of Esfahan are probably the most famous of their kind. The site is open from8 AM to 5 PM.
Oshtorjan Jam’e Mosque and Minarets
There is a magnificent 14th century mosque in Oshtorjan village 30 km to the southwest of Esfahan, by the same name, which also has shaking minarets like the twin Shaking minarets (above), which were certainly built by the same architect (Fakhrod-Din Oshtorjani). However, two- thirds of these minarets have now disappeared On the portal. Inside the mosque, its mehrab, and northern ivan, a number of inscriptions and tablets have been placed, giving the names of owners, architect, the first four caliphs, as well as the master tile workers.
Sareban (Camel Driver) Minaret rising 54 m above the ground, and attracting your attention even 200 meters further on, is located in the north of Jubareh (Jewish ghetto) of Esfahan, and is one of the most beautiful Seljuk structures. A flight of 135 steps runs through the minaret to the top, and three inscription bands in Kuffic and Thulth calligraphy on an enameled tile background. Adorn it externally. Built somewhere between 1130-1155 AD, it is beautifully decorated with mosaics and brick works and the whole town can easily be seen from its higher levels.
Barsian Minaret and mosque
A Seljuk monument dating back to 1097 AD, the mosque has a 35m high minaret and a brick copula of 1421 AD. Twelfth- century brick masonry reaches its perfection in this building that was completed during the reign of Sultan Borkyaregh , older son of Malak shah, who had shifted the Iranian capital to Esfahan.
Sin Minaret and Mosque
Twenty four km to the north of Esfahan, it is a Seljuk monument and was built by Mohammad ibn-e Hossein (1131 AD). According to an inscription frieze. The minaret of the mosque, its exquisite cupola, stalactite and brick and stucco decorations, were built by Abughaleb Yahya three years later, according to an inscription of the same date.
Ali Minaret and Mosque
The 40-m high minaret and Ali Mosque, both of Seljuk period (probably of 13th century AD), are located in the northeastern part of the town, near Qiam Square. It is built entirely of brick, and bears four inscription friezes in Kuffic , one of which is in brick the rest in enameled blue tiles. The mosque itself has been reoaired more than once during the Safavid period (1522 AD). The portal inscription is in Thulth calligraphy by od- Din Tabrizi totally in gold characters . It architecture, superb ornamentation, numerous ivans, impressive prayer hall, brick cupola with stalactite decorations inside, beautiful tile works, and versatile styles used in its inscriptions, make it one of the most important and rarest monuments of Esfahan.
Domenar-e Dar oz-Ziafeh
Domaner-e Dar ox-Ziafeh (literally meaning the two Minarets of the Reception Hall), are two beautiful minarets of baked brick decorated with stalactites of colorful mosaic tiles surmounted by a covering of turquoise tiles on a checkered brick background, standing on either side of a portal. Few words of their half – demolished inscriptions can still be read. As the name indicates The minarets seem to have been part of a much grander structure belonging to a certain ruler of the 14 the century.