Chehel Dokhtaran minaret
This minaret holds sway above the houses of Esfahan's Jewish district. Chehel ("forty") is the usual Persian hyperbole for "many': like in the tale of Ali Baba, where "forty thieves" simply meant "many thieves': The minaret of "Many Girls" is dated 1107 by a Kufic inscription on the base. Thus, it is the fifth oldest Iranian minaret precisely dated. Both the origin of the minaret's name and its purpose are very obscure. It could be built near or on the site of an earlier building, which was reserved for women. The locals also call the minaret Garland, after an English missionary, Father Garland, who lived in its vicinity at the start of the 20th century. The great gap one can see high on the minaret's cylinder is a window facing Mecca.
The opening is surmounted by a slightly concave arch on brick pillars. A spiral staircase is found inside but is not accessible from the alley. The minaret is only 21 m high, but it is obvious that it was much higher and its upper part has been ruined. This minaret is from Sorush Street, whence it is moderately visible, as it is otherwise difficult to find.