The Marnan Bridge is Esfahans only historical bridge west of Chahar Bagh Avenue. Its present structure dates from the Safavid period. However, its piers may belong to a much earlier date and be contemporary with the Shahrestan Bridge.
A historical record exists that it was rebuilt by Khajeh Sarfaraz, the Armenian administrator of the district, appointed to this lucrative post in 1636 after the death of his father, Khajeh Nazar.
The name "Maran" seems to be a distorted form of mehrbin ("vision of the sun") - the name of the district reportedly called so because the Fire Temple (pp162-163) could be observed from here. The Marnan Bridge is 185 m long and 4.7 m wide.