|Glassware and Ceramic Museum|
Glassware and Ceramic Museum
The rooms, which have been turned into the museum, where glass and clay works are on display, were built about 90 years ago by order of Ahmad Qavam (Qavam-ol-Saltaneh) for his personal accommodation (residential and labor office). The building is located in a garden with a span of 7000 square meters and was used by Qavam even until the year 1953.
Later, the building was sold to the Egyptians as the new premises for the Embassy of Egypt and remained in its possession for seven years. When the relations between Iran and Egypt were strained at the time of Abdul Nasser and after the closure of the Egyptian embassy in Iran, the commercial bank bought the building.
However, it was sold to the office of Farah Pahlavi in 1976 and was transformed into a museum by three groups of Iranian, Austrian and French architects. The museum was opened in 1980 and was registered in the national heritage list in 1998.
The main branch of the museum, occupying an area of 1040 square meters, is a two-storey octagonal building with suspended columns and a basement. It is located on the entrance of the site. The architectural style of the building is a combination of the traditional Iranian style and European architecture of the 19th century.
The first floor is connected to the second by wooden steps in the Russian style. Before the time the building was moved to the Egyptian Embassy, the entrance to the museum was condemned, but was later flattened.
Parts of the walls in the basement are decorated in traditional style with large tiles. Double windows were used in the architecture of the building instead of the terrace, and wooden doors were installed behind the windowpanes to regulate the light and temperature of the interior of the building. The exterior and interior of the museum include such decorations as brickwork, plasterwork, mirror work and inlays.
1 brick works
About 50 types of bricks in different designs and with different geometric and floral patterns were used in the exterior of the building and recall the fine arts of the Seljuk era.
The interior plastering work covers three periods:
A) Paving work from the time of construction of the building (Qavam-ol-Saltaneh), which was seen in parts of the entrance hall and some other halls.
(B) Paving work done at the time when the building was transformed into the Egyptian embassy examples of which could be seen at the Minas and Bolor halls as well as in the basement.
C) Paving works made in 1984 by the Islamic Republic as a combination of calligraphy and painting, which was to be seen in the entrance hall of the second floor.
3 mirror works
In the second floor of the museum, at the edges of plasterwork, one could reflect in lemony-like or geometric designs.
Work on the work could be seen on the doors and edges of the steps mainly in flower patterns.